Hitwise: Black Friday Traffic Up 145%
Below is a summary of key data points from Hitwise regarding Black Friday Traffic (week ending Nov 17th)
- U.S. traffic to a custom category of Black Friday advertising websites increased 145 percent for the week ending Nov. 17, 2007 compared to Nov. 10, 2007, Hitwise reported today. Year-over-year traffic to the Black Friday websites increased 45 percent compared to the same week in 2006.
- Visitors to Black Friday advertising websites were predominantly females aged 25-34, according to Hitwise demographic data. 61 percent of visitors to the custom category of Black Friday websites were female, for the four weeks ending Nov. 17, 2007. Females comprised the majority of visits across all of the sites, including Black Friday Ads (64 percent), BlackFridayAds.com (64 percent), and The Black Friday (63 percent).
- Visitors between the ages of 25 and 34 were the highest represented age group to visit Black Friday websites, comprising 37 percent of visits for the four weeks ending Nov. 17, 2007.
- Black Friday websites as a whole received 61 percent of traffic from new visitors for the week ending Nov. 17, 2007. BlackFridayAds.com received the highest percentage of new visitors with 73 percent. The BlackFirday.gottadeal.com website received the highest percentage of returning visitors with 48 percent.
- The Hitwise U.S. Retail 100 Index chart shows that visits to the websites within the Index were up seven percent for the week ending Nov. 17, 2007 versus last week (Nov. 10, 2007). U.S. traffic is up 12 percent compared to the same week last year (Nov. 18, 2006).
Amazon.com remained the most-visited website within the Index last week, receiving 11 percent of visits among the Retail 100 Index. Wal-Mart received the second-most visits with seven percent. CircuitCity.com was the biggest gainer for the week, as their traffic increased 24 percent compared to the previous week.
- The iPod and the Nintendo Wii were the most popular search terms sending visits to Shopping and Classifieds websites for the week ending Nov. 17, 2007. The terms “ipod”, “nintendo wii” and “wii” were the top three product searches. Video game consoles remain a popular product search so far this holiday season as the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 were all among the top 10 searches this past week.
|Top U.S. Search Terms Driving Traffic to Shopping & Classifieds Category|
|For the week ending November 17, 2007|
|Top Brand Searches||Top Product Searches|
|best buy||ipod touch|
|craigs list||playstation 3|