YouTube And Hulu See Record High Video Views
Online video viewing reached another record in September, driven largely by TV season premieres, according to the latest report from comScore.
More than 168 million U.S. Internet users watched online video during the month. Nearly 26 billion videos were viewed in September, as Google sites accounted for more than 40 percent of videos viewed online by Americans.
Google sites continued to rank as the top U.S. video property in September with nearly 10.5 billion videos viewed. YouTube accounted for 99 percent of all videos viewed at Google properties.
Hulu landed in the second spot with 583 million (2.2%) followed by Fox Interactive Media with 547 million videos viewed (2.1%) and Viacom Digital with 513 million (2%).
More than 168 million viewers watched an average of 154 videos per viewer during the month of September. Google sites attracted more than 126 million unique viewers during the month (82.7 videos per viewer), followed by Fox Interactive Media with 58 million viewers (9.4 videos per viewer) and Yahoo sites with 57 million viewers (7.5 videos per viewer).
Tremor Media was the top video ad network with a potential reach of 73 million viewers, or 43.3 percent of the total viewing audience. YuMe Video Network ranked second with a potential reach of 66 million viewers (39.4 % penetration) followed by Broadband Enterprises (BBE) with 63 million viewers (37.5%).
Other highlights from September include:
- The top video ad networks in terms of their actual delivered reach were: Tremor Media Video Network (19.9 percent penetration of online video viewers), BBE (16.3 percent penetration) and BrightRoll Video Network (14.9 percent penetration).
- 84.8 percent of the total U.S. Internet audience viewed online video.
- The average online video viewer watched 9.8 hours of video.
- 125.5 million viewers watched nearly 10.3 billion videos on YouTube.com (82.4 videos per viewer).
- 45.6 million viewers watched 424 million videos on MySpace.com (9.3 videos per viewer).
- The average Hulu viewer watched 15.1 videos, totaling 1 hour and 32 minutes of videos per viewer.
- The duration of the average online video was 3.8 minutes.