A Chat With Google’s Eric Schmidt
Here’s what stood out for me.
1. On why Google acquired YouTube
- “YouTube was growing faster [than Google Video] and video became fundamental data type on the Internet, so that’s why we bought them.,” Schmidt said.
2. On potential copyright issues with YouTube
- “We have visited with as many media companies as we can,” Schmidt said. “We have to respect copy right.”
3. On allowing Google users to have access to their own search data
- “We would like to do that, as long as it is authenticated.If users can switch it keeps us honest.”
4. On not competing with Microsoft Office
- Schmidt played the semantic game, claiming that Google is developing applications for just “casual” use. “We don’t call it an office suite. It’s not targeted at the [Microsoft] Office-we never made that claim. For many people, it would be just as easy to have computers in the cloud store information you use every day.”
Andy Beal is an internet marketing consultant and considered one of the world’s most respected and interactive search engine marketing experts. Andy has worked with many Fortune 1000 companies such as Motorola, CitiFinancial, Lowes, Alaska Air, DeWALT, NBC and Experian.