Online Video Viewing Grows by 10% in the UK
Online video has grown by 10% in the UK in terms of its audience during the past year. It is up to 29.6 million unique viewers age 15 and older according to research from comScore.
4 billion videos were viewed online in the UK in January alone. 99.5 million (2.5%) of these were watched on the sites of the top 5 TV broadcasters: the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, and Sky. Here’s a look at the top online video properties:
Other interesting highlights of comScore’s findings include:
– 80.1% of the total UK Internet audience viewed online video.
– The total UK online video viewing audience watched a combined 280 million hours of video content.
– 23.5 million viewers watched over 2 billion videos on YouTube.com (86 videos per viewer).
– 1.1 million UK mobile phone subscribers visited YouTube.com.
– 4.8 million UK mobile phone subscribers used their phone to watch any kind of TV or video.
We Americans watch a fair amount of online video ourselves. Mike Sachoff referenced a Nielsen report showing Americans’ video viewing habits recently:
Businesses should keep statistics like these in mind when plotting the next shifts in their marketing strategies. For some advice on how to get more out of your videos, check out these tips on ranking on (and with) YouTube and this interview with ReelSEO’s Grant Crowell who discusses using video to rank in Google.