Dunkin Donuts Coffee and iPads Popular in 2010 Among Ask Users
It’s now December, and in the search industry, that means it’s the time of the year that we get to look at the most searched things of the year. Bing shared its top ten searches the other day. Ask recently retired from true search, in order to focus on the niche its name suggests – questions and answers.
With that, the company has released its top questions and answers for 2010. This provides a more interesting picture of people’s interests this year in some ways. While Ask doesn’t have near the market share of a Google or even a Bing, the Q&A format tends to provide a bit more context than just keywords.
"With live people now addressing user questions, we see not only what people want to know, but real-time answers on a wide scope of issues and topics," said Doug Leeds, President of Ask.com US. "It’s a freeze frame on the current mindset of consumers, focused on everything from products and brands to culture and politics."
Here are Ask’s Top 10 questions and answers for the year:
1. What is the best coffee under $10? Users say: Dunkin Donuts
2. Are the new mini net books any good? Users say: Go with an iPad
3. Where should I propose to my girlfriend? Users say: Take her where you went on your first date
4. What’s the best cure for a stuffy nose? Users say: Hot shower and Vicks Vapor Rub
5. What is the best child-friendly sushi? Users say: California Rolls, but Unagi and Ebi are also great choices
6. As a beginner, is it worth paying for expensive ski boots? Users say: No, cut your teeth on some cheap ones
7. What kind of dog should I get? Users say: Either a Boxer or a Lab
8. What are the best websites for travel deals? Users say: Kayak.com and Travelzoo
9. Do you have to peel apples when making homemade apple pie? Users say: Absolutely
10. What’s the best new TV show? Users say: The Big Bang Theory
Ask also provided top ten lists for the most popular questions answered in a few verticles like entertainment, tech, and health. Unfortunately, answers weren’t included in these lists. Some of them are probably quite amusing.
Here are Ask’s top entertainment questions:
1. How old is Justin Bieber?
2. Who is Taylor Swift dating?
3. Does Justin Bieber have a girlfriend?
4. How old is Kim Kardashian?
5. Who is the highest paid teen star?
6. Is Lady Gaga a man?
7. What is Slash’s real name?
8. Is Nicki Minaj gay?
9. Is Beyonce pregnant?
10. Is Demo Lovato in rehab?
Top Technology/Internet Questions:
1. What is the best brand of laptop?
2. What is the best online game for iPod Touch?
3. What is the best iPhone app?
4. Is Apple coming out with the iPhone 5?
5. Which is best: AT&T, Verizon or Sprint?
6. What is an RSS feed?
7. How do I create my own website?
8. Is there a website where I can watch free movies online?
9. What is the best available smart phone?
10. Where can I download free music?
Top Health and Fitness Questions:
1. How much should I weigh?
2. How do I get pregnant?
3. What’s the best treatment for a migraine headache?
4. How long does it take to get out of shape?
5. How long does marijuana stay in your system?
6. What’s the fastest way to lose weight and keep it off?
7. How many calories are in a pound?
8. Can men get breast cancer?
9. What causes hiccups?
10. What are the symptoms of the swine flu?
Ask says it has been the fourth largest Internet property for unique searches, attracting 90 million monthly unique users.