Make Your Words Captivate
Does the thought of writing give you a sinking feeling? Do you find yourself falling asleep at the keyboard?
What follows are ten unique tips to boost the clarity of your written words.
“Why should I care?,” you say?
Because the thrill of writing is achieved when other’s read your work. Boring words are doomed to digital archives.
Whether you write blogs, ad copy or white papers, these unique methods will help your words grab and maintain the attention of any reader.
Here we go:
- Get motivated by reading good writing: This may seem like a no-brainer, but good words are like caffeine for your fingers. Looking for samples? Give this a try.
- Write like you speak: If you can’t get it right, talk it out. The fact is that we have no problem gabbing. So speak and record. When you write like you talk, people will listen.
- Concept, then refine: Start some unedited free form writing. Get the ideas out of your head. Make them sound better later.
- It’s about you: Hey, buddy. Yea you! It’s all about using the word ‘you.’ If you can use this attractive word, you will grab eyeballs.
- Address the why: Make sure you actually explain why someone should read. Don’t assume anyone cares. Make the case.
- Use word pictures: “The hole was as big as a house.” You get the idea. Place an image in the mind of readers and captivate.
- Think like an advertiser: First impressions really matter. Make your headline a show stopper. Capture a few tips here.
- Keep it short: Try short sentences. While you are at it, how about short paragraphs too? This helps the reader skate through your piece.
- Okay, “Action!”: Add a clear action step to the end of your work. Don’t leave your reader at a dead end wondering what to do next. More on this.
- Percolate: Just when you think it is done… Table it. Come back with fresh eyes later and perfect those words even more.
Does this pass the test?
Your action: Let me know what you think about these 10 methods. Your comments keep these finders creative.