Liverpool FC Stuns Manchester City FC At Anfield

LifeLeave a Comment

Share this Post

This past Sunday's game was set to be an emotional rollercoaster for Liverpool FC.

The match took place on the weekend anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster, an event that broke the heart of the club almost 25 years ago.

After a minute of silence to somberly honor the fallen, the stadium came to life. Fans loudly sang the club anthem, "You'll Never Walk Alone" in a show of massive support. It was also meant to be an intimidating spectacle for visitors Manchester City FC.

During the first half of the game, it seemed to work.

Raheem Sterling kicked things off brilliantly with a goal inside the 6th minute. Approximately twenty minutes later, Martin Skrtel would make it 2-0 for the Reds with a header into the back of the Sky Blues' net.

At halftime it appeared as though the visiting club would be comfortably defeated in the same manner as Arsenal FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC, and Everton FC.

As the home fans soon learned, one does not simply write off Manchester City.

The Liverpool team, either due to overconfidence or an urge to simply defend their lead, let up on the gas. Instead of continuing to attack the City players head on, the home team sat back.

They offered Man City a brilliant opportunity to stage a massive comeback.

In the 57th into the game, David Silva would make it 2-1.

Now only a goal down, the Sky Blues were determined to pull themselves back into the match. Nerves soon got the better of the Reds. A Glen Johnson own goal in the 62nd minute would make it a 2-2 game.

It was starting to look as though the Liverpool team had gifted their title rivals a point, or even worse, a chance to steal the win.

Then in the 78th minute, Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany made a fatal error.

During a Liverpool wave of attack, City defenders were working hard to get the ball away from their goal. The ball bounced towards Kompany, who clearly intended to kick it far down field.

He missed.

The ball then fell to Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho, who with one kick sent it flying past the stunned defender.

Just like that, it was 3-2 and Liverpool were once again out in front.

The lead would be held until the final whistle blew and cheers erupted around the stadium.

The Reds won their match, leaving the Sky Blues in an uncomfortable position.

Man City must now not only win both games in hand, they must win all remaining fixtures PERIOD. Even then, their chance at the title relies on Liverpool dropping points in one of their remaining four games.

Liverpool are now on a 10 game winning streak. Should they win all four remaining games, they will be crowned Premier League champions for the first time in the league's history.

In the way stands Chelsea FC, who they meet in two weeks time.

Image via YouTube

Leave a Reply