Skype has launched the much-anticipated Skype for iPad app, which presents the popular service in a format that has been optimized for the tablet – particularly the iPad – experience. .
“It offers the best of both worlds for users who want a larger Skype experience, on-the-go,” explains Skype’s Rick Osterloh, comparing it to the iPhone experience. “The large iPad screen is perfect for bringing Skype video calls to life, in either landscape or portrait view, and because it is on the iPad, Skype video calls can be made at the beach, in a car or even lying on a couch.”
It utilizes the iPad 2’s dual cameras for face-to-face video talking with the front-facing camera, and allows you to switch to the rear-facing camera if you like, so you can show things that are going on behind view. Pretty cool.
The new features, as described by Skype, include:
- Two-way video calling. With Skype video calling available on iPhones, as well as in Skype for Android, Skype for Mac, Skype for Windows, Skype on HDTVs and more – you can connect to over 170 million Skype connected users worldwide.
- Instant messaging. You can even instant message during a video call on your iPad, with emoticons to personalize your message.
- Simple to view contacts. Contacts are now displayed in a grid on Skype for iPad, showing large avatar photos – making it easy to find your contacts and conversations.
- Easy navigation. Find your recent Skype conversations and history at the touch of a button making searching simple.
- Simple SMS texting. An SMS text message can be sent by simply opening a contact and selecting SEND SMS or by opening the dial pad, typing in the number you wish to SMS and then typing your message.
Skype let Skype for iPad loose a little bit early last night, as it wasn’t quite ready for prime time, and pulled it. Then they were able to get it back out there pretty quickly this morning.
To ensure your best Skype experience, we’ve temporarily removed Skype for iPad which went live prematurely today.
We know you’ve been eagerly awaiting Skype for iPad and apologize for the inconvenience.
It’s here now. It’s available in the iTunes App Store. It works on 3G and Wi-Fi networks.