Lance Armstrong finally reached a settlement with British newspaper The Sunday Times, after they sued him for damages they sustained in a 2004 libel suit with Armstrong.
The American cycling champion proven to have been using performance-enhancing drugs throughout his career, sued the Times in 2006 after sports writers for the paper claimed he had been “doping” in order to accumulate his wins in the sport. After the US Anti-Doping Agency validated last year that Armstrong had, in fact, been using drugs throughout his career, the British paper sued Armstrong for the 300,000 pounds (approximately $470,000) they paid him in 2006, along with interest and damages. Though the exact conditions of the settlement are confidential, Armstrong was first sued for $1.6 million plus interest and legal fees.
This week’s edition of The Sunday Times said that the paper and original authors had come to a “mutually acceptable final resolution.”
Last year, after the anti-doping agency proved Armstrong’s doping denials to be false, he publicly admitted his use of several different drugs in order to win. He was stripped of his 7 Tour de France titles, along with his reputation as being, possibly, the greatest cyclist to ever live.
In January, Armstrong sat down with Oprah for an interview, in which he said that his repeated denials of using performance-enhancing drugs were all “one big lie.” He gave no real answers as to why he was coming clean now, although that seems obvious, as he had been proven fraudulent. The US Anti-Doping Agency said that Armstrong’s scheme was the “most sophisticated doping program the sport had ever seen.”
Armstrong also told Oprah that he didn’t think his wins would have been “humanly possible” without doping, and that it didn’t even feel wrong at the time.
Now, Armstrong says, “I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to earn back trust and apologize to people – for the rest of my life.”