It sounds like Bette Midler has done Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins, Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas, and the late Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes proud. Divine Miss M took on TLC's signature 1995 tune Waterfalls and turned out a smooth, crooner-like, emotional cover.
The 68-year-old's rendition debuted yesterday on The Advocate. Waterfalls is on Midler's new album called It's The Girls!, which is a collection of cover songs that were originally performed by girl groups.
"I have loved the sound of females harmonizing since I was a kid; I always sang along. Didn't we all?" Midler told Billboard. "I think the idea that you could become part of the group was the thing that endeared me to the girl groups. You weren't just singing along, you were THERE!" Midler added, "Since this is a kind of overview of girl groups, I wanted to re-arrange some of the really popular songs and put a new spin on them."
Midler wrote on her website, "As most of you know, I have an absolute mania for harmony and vocal groups – I'm mad for the melodies, I’m cuckoo for the chords! I have been a rabid fan of these groups since I was a mere sprout, (which was so long ago I’m practically a beanstalk now!) and although I have jumped feet first into this kind of music many times, I decided to devote an entire record to some of the girl group music that I have loved since I was a kid."
The critically acclaimed Waterfalls, written by "Left Eye" and Marqueze Etheridge, was the third single from the TLC album CrazySexyCool. The song spent seven weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and was nominated for two Grammy Awards. Additionally, the $1 million video for Waterfalls was a staple on MTV and won four MTV Video Music Awards. The effects-laden video featured the group standing on top of the ocean, next to a waterfall.
Here's the full tracklisting for Midler's new album which drops on November 4.
1. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
2. One Fine Day - The Chiffons
3. Bei Mir Bist Du Schon - The Andrews Sisters
4. Baby It's You - The Shirelles
5. Tell Him - The Exciters
6. He's Sure The Boy I Love (duet with Darlene Love) - The Crystals
7. Mr. Sandman - The Chordettes
8. Come and Get These Memories - Martha and the Vandellas
9. Too Many Fish in the Sea - The Marvelettes
10. Teach Me Tonight - The DeCastro Sisters
11. Waterfalls - TLC
12. You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes
13. Give Him A Great Big Kiss - The Shangri-Las
14. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles
15. It's the Girl - The Boswell Sisters
What do you think of Midler's cover of Waterfalls?