Andy Murray Moves To Last Eight In French Open

Val PowellLifeLeave a Comment

Share this Post

On Saturday evening, Andy Murray's match with No. 28 seed Philipp Kohlschreiber was suspended in the fourth set due to lack of light, and resumed on Sunday morning. Murray secured a victory after playing for a grueling four hours and seven minutes.

Murray lost the first set in the match on Saturday, but was determined to get back on track on the next two sets. Some say that he played his best tennis so far in the tournament during his match with Kohlschreiber, despite the fact that he was also struggling with his left hamstring. “Physically in the fifth set I was struggling. You know, I was cramping,” he said. The match ended with 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 12-10 in favor of Murray.

On Monday, Murray went on to beat No. 24 seed Fernando Verdasco in a match that lasted for about three hours. The final tally was 6-4, 7-5, 7-6, (7-3). Beating Verdasco propelled Murray to the French Open quarterfinals for the fourth time.

“I was trying to play more aggressive today because I knew I was going to be a bit tired in my legs,” Murray said. He has been playing in the French Open for three consecutive days.

Verdasco’s temper may have also helped Murray to win. His meltdowns during the match provided openings for Murray. Verdasco is known for getting carried away with his emotions, which sometimes gives his opponents an advantage.

Murray, 27,  said that he played “good tennis” in the tournament, but had to kick it up a notch during the second week, especially after Federer’s unexpected departure when Ernests Gulbis defeated him.

Murray is scheduled to face Gael Montfils of France on Wednesday. “It’s good to win in three sets, and playing against Monfils, I guess on center court – it’s going to be a great atmosphere and I’m really looking forward to it,” he said.

Image via Andy Murray, Instagram

Val Powell

I’m a content writer, blogger, SEO enthusiast, visual artist, world traveler and lover of spicy foods. I also live and work in Queens, New York.

FOLLOW ME on Twitter! @webnewsreporter or LIKE ME on Facebook! webnewsreporter

Leave a Reply