Amanda Knox’s former boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, is casting doubt on the alibi which has become the cornerstone of the defense for him and Knox. In a press conference today, he revealed his defense strategy which revolves around weaknesses in the verdict which convicted him. One of those weaknesses is the alibi of Amanda Knox.
According to AFP, Sollecito has “always believed, and still believe, that Amanda Marie Knox is innocent”, but his defense in this latest appeal will revolve around a text message Knox sent which puts a chink in the armor of her Alibi.
“This text message, according to the court’s own ruling, was not sent from his house. Therefore the pair were not together,” Sollecito’s lawyer Giulia Bongiorno explained. Sollecito refused to speculate or offer a solution as to where Knox may have been at the time.
— Reuters World (@ReutersWorld) July 1, 2014
In his own words, “My name is Raffaele Sollecito, not Amanda Marie Knox, I have to respond as Raffaele Sollecito,” Sollecito said according to the Associated Press. Back in February, Sollecito also distanced himself from Knox. “I don’t want to be punished for, nor have to continue to justify, those things that regard you and not me,” he said.
CNN reported that the continuing strategy for Sollecito has been to maintain distance from him and Knox. The past seven years it had been for them to stick together, but in the words of Bongiorno, “they are not Siamese twins — one body with two heads.”
“It’s imperative that the Italian courts consider Raffaele’s case separate from Amanda’s case,” John Kelly, another lawyer for Sollecito explianed, “By necessity, he has to distance himself and his case from Amanda and her case.”
Image via Anderson, YouTube.