Google announced that it has added indoor maps and walking directions for 20 museums in the U.S. to Google Maps for Android on phones and tablets.
"In the past, navigating through museums could be an art form in and of itself. But Google Maps for Android has got wayfinding inside your favorite museums down to a science," says Google's Cedric Dupont. "With indoor maps and walking directions for U.S. museums now available on your Android phone or tablet, you can plan your route from exhibit to exhibit, identifying points of interest along the way, including between floors."
The new inclusions are:
- American Museum of Natural History
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Cincinnati Museum Center
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Indianapolis Museum of Art
- National Air and Space Museum, National Mall Building
- National Air and Space Museum, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
- National Museum of African Art
- National Museum of American History
- National Museum of the American Indian
- National Museum of the American Indian, George Gustav Heye Center
- National Museum of Natural History
- National Portrait Gallery
- National Postal Museum
- National Zoological Park
- Renwick Gallery
- S. Dillon Ripley Center
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Smithsonian Institution Building (“The Castle”)
- The deYoung Museum
Users can access the maps by opening Google Maps on your device, and zooming in on the museum.
Google says more museums will get indoor maps soon, including: including the SFMOMA, The Phillips Collection, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and the National WWII Museum in New Orleans.