Minecraft Pocket Edition for Android got an update today, adding survival mode and some other features.
Here's the full list of what's new, from the Android Market:
1. Major version 0.2.0 (first survival update)
2. New mode! Choose between Survival and Creative mode when creating a map
3. New blocks; most notably doors, fences and fence gates
4. Added flying to Creative mode (double tap jump)
5. Added mobs; sheep and zombies being the first
6. Day and night in Survival mode, with monsters coming at night...
7. Gather resources from nature!
8. Tools for different purposes (digging, attacking.. shearing :))
While the update has only come to Android devices so far, it looks like iOS won't be far behind, as it's only waiting on Apple's approval.
Minecraft designer Daniel Kaplan tweeted this morning:
MCPE is out for Android. For iOS we just have to wait for Apple to approve the update. Plox RT to your friends <3