Kent State Shooting Suspect in Custody
Comments are off for this post.
The Kent State freshman who shot himself in the hand during a domestic dispute, prompting a campus lockdown on Wednesday, remained jailed Thursday on a concealed weapons charge, according to campus police.
The 24-year-old suspect, Quavaugntay L. Tyler of Cleveland, fired a 9 mm handgun once Wednesday night during a dispute with two female students, Police Chief John Peach said. The bullet struck his left hand. No one else was injured.
Tyler was taken into police custody at Robinson Memorial Hospital in Ravenna, where he sought medical treatment for his wounded hand.
The suspect told police that he had a gun because he had previously been the victim of an armed robbery.
According to Peach, the reason Tyler fired the shot was not immediately clear. Tyler fled to a residence hall after he fired the shot, and asked a friend to help him hide the weapon before he went to the hospital. The friend was found but not charged, according to the police chief.
Tyler has been the subject of a campus investigation. The suspect was on probation from a separate theft case in a different jurisdiction, Peach said. He is being cooperative with investigators.
Tyler, a student in criminology and justice studies, was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, but more charges may be added after a prosecutor reviews the case, police said.
The Kent State campus was on lockdown for about two hours on Wednesday night while police searched for the suspect. The university posted notice on its Twitter page Wednesday that the suspect had been apprehended and that there was no longer a threat.
KSU Advisory: April 2 – Suspect from tonight’s incident has been apprehended off campus. Police say there is no longer a threat.
— Kent State (@KentState) April 3, 2014
The incident comes just one month before the 44th anniversary of the Kent State Massacre, when the Ohio National Guard opened fire on students protesting the war in Vietnam on May 4, 1970.
Image via Wikimedia Commons