Jamie Sangouthai, best friend of Lamar Odom, didn't die of a heroin overdose as previously reported. Instead he died of a flesh-eating disease that isn't uncommon to drug addicts.
His death has now been ruled an accident.
"He had [a] flesh-eating disease from his intravenous drug use," L.A. Coroner's office assistant chief Ed Winter said in an interview with People magazine.
"Cause A is Necrotizing fasciitis. Cause B is chronic intravenous narcotism," he continued. "How it occurred was self-injection and ruled an accident."
Jamie Sangouthai was just 37 at the time of his death. He appeared regularly on the Keeping Up With the Kardashians spinoff Khloe & Lamar.
Lamar Odom's Friend Jamie Sangouthai -- Died From Flesh-Eating Disease Cause by Drug Use http://t.co/kTt1RktMjy
— TMZ (@TMZ) June 18, 2015
Khloe Kardashian shared her grief over Jamie Sangouthai's passing via Twitter shortly after she heard the tragic news.
when does it stop? RIP Jamie Sangouthai
— Khloé (@khloekardashian) June 14, 2015
Lamar Odom was reportedly partying in Vegas when he learned his friend since childhood was dead.
Khloe Kardashian shared a second tweet that actually seemed like it might be directed at Lamar. Sources say she hopes Jamie Sangouthai's death serves as a wakeup call for the man who is still legally her husband.
Life doesn't get easier but I promise you that life will make you stronger. https://t.co/6HTruujyv3
— Khloé (@khloekardashian) June 15, 2015
Lamar Odom has been to see Jamie Sangouthai's mother in the wake of this tragedy.
— Us Weekly (@usweekly) June 19, 2015
Meanwhile friends of Jamie Sangouthai have a GoFundMe account in place, in their efforts to raise money to bring his body home to New York and pay for a proper funeral and burial.
— Us Weekly (@usweekly) June 18, 2015
Do you think Jamie Sangouthai's tragic death could propel Lamar Odom back into the throes of drug abuse?
Khloe Kardashian apparently believes this is a big concern.