Fantasy Football Visits Reach 3-Year High
Visits to fantasy football sites are the highest they’ve been in three years, according to new data from Experian Hitwise.
Some interesting stats, as shared by the firm in an email:
- The NFL lockout may have shortened the normal buildup to the NFL season, but once it ended online traffic to NFL-related sites saw a boost
- As a result US visits to Fantasy Football sites increased 24% in August 2011 versus August 2010.
- Through last week US visits to Fantasy Football sites were up 28% compared to the same week in 2010 and visits to Fantasy Football sites are the highest they have been in three years.
- The same is true for the Canadian market as visits to Fantasy Football sites were 18% year-over-year last week and the highest in 3-years as well.
- Search variations for the term “fantasy football” are up 53% comparing this past week ending September 17, 2011 versus the same week in 2010.
- All of this interest plus the late start could bode well for Fantasy Football sites and related NFL-sites as the typical online traffic peak to Fantasy Football sites occurs in September, however last year the peak week was in October.
- In fact, we’ve noticed that the peak week of traffic to Fantasy Football sites has extended further into the NFL season each year for the last three years.
- Top DMA’s visiting Fantasy Football sites ranked by volume of visits, the New York City DMA ranked #1 for the 4 weeks ending Sept. 17, 2011. The next DMA’s include: Philadelphia, Chicago, Minneapolis and Los Angeles.
- Top DMA’s visiting Fantasy Football sites ranked by representation of visits, Mankato, MN was the top DMA followed by La Crosee-Eu Claire, WI and Green Bay-Appleton, WI.
It’s interesting that the peak week appears to be later and later into the season with each passing year.
There have been a lot of injuries to high profile NFL players already this year, and I’m guessing that this has contributed greatly to fantasy football visits, as users scramble to find replacements for their wounded starters.