A Massachusetts family has been awarded $63 million by a jury for a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction their daughter suffered when she was just seven years old. The cause? Children's Motrin.
The family filed a lawsuit after 7-year old Samantha Reckis was given the over-the-counter medication in 2003 and suffered an allergic reaction so bad, it took off 90% of her skin, left her blind, and damaged her lungs. Her family says it also affected her memory. The Reckis' attorney claimed that Johnson & Johnson, the makers of the drug, never put a warning on the medication that it might cause an allergic reaction. Samantha came close to death and had to be placed in an induced coma while her body fought off multiple infections.
The case has been drawn out for several years, so if the judge approves the settlement, the family will end up getting over $100 million after interest. The Reckis family says Samantha, who is now 16, is doing much better but still suffers from the after-effects of the reaction and has to work twice as hard in school due to her memory loss. Johnson & Johnson allegedly disagree with the verdict and issued a statement regarding their product, saying it is "safe and effective" when used as directed.
"A number of medicines, including ibuprofen, have been associated with allergic reactions and as noted on the label, consumers should stop using medications and immediately contact a healthcare professional if they have an allergic reaction."
A warning on their website reads as follows:
Ibuprofen may cause a severe allergic reaction, especially in people allergic to aspirin. Symptoms may include:
If an allergic reaction occurs, stop use and seek medical help right away.