Currently Best Buy gives purchasers 14 days to return desktops and notebook computers, tablets, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, DJ equipment and lighting, pro audio and home recording equipment. Everything else they carry has a 30 day return policy. Well news has leaked out that this policy is going to change in the very near future to a 30 day blanket policy that will cover all merchandise.
Why is this interesting aside from the significant convenience factor? For Apple fans and potential buyers of the new iPad 3 it means a 16 day extension on the manufacturers return policy. The Best Buy return policy will extent to 30 days. One thing I would question as a consumer however; do the manufacturers terms supersede the store policy? That can happen and Apple could limit Best Buys ability to extend their policy to 30 days.
Here's what I found today when I searched Best Buy for their return policy:
Return & Exchange Policy
The original receipt, gift receipt or packing slip is required for all returns and exchanges. If returning or exchanging an item in a Best Buy store, a valid photo ID is also required.
Return & Exchange Period
14 days for desktop and notebook computers, tablets, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, DJ equipment and lighting, pro audio and home recording equipment
30 days for all other products
45 days for all products for Reward Zone® Program Premier Silver members
Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return or exchange.
Some items cannot be returned, including:
* Labor, delivery and/or completed Geek Squad® installation services
* Some pre-paid cards, digital subscriptions or services
* Digital content (e.g., game and movie downloads)
* Microphones, earbuds, harmonicas and other similar products
* Consumable items such as food, drinks and batteries
* Items that are damaged or abused
* Items that are missing accessories such as remote controls, cords and cables
* Etched or otherwise personalized items
* Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund
Marketplace items cannot be returned to Best Buy. They must be returned to the Marketplace Seller.
Returns In Store
Avoid shipping charges and receive a refund more quickly by returning your items to any Best Buy store within the United States.
Include all original packing materials, manuals and accessories
Bring your receipt or packing slip and a valid photo ID. We accept these forms of identification:
* US, Canadian or Mexican driver's license
* US state-issued ID
* Canadian province-issued ID
* US military-issued ID
I think we should take note that becoming a premium rewards silver member will extend your return on all items to 45 days. That's two extra weeks to decide if the product is right for you. I would say this benefit alone is worth a membership and I am sure there must be addition benefits.
Anyhow, there it is: Best Buy return policy will extend to 30 days. So if you're a Best Buy shopper or considering a large electronic purchase, I would check them out. This return policy could prove to be a valuable feature.