Tainted Skittles Results In Hospitalization


Share this Post

A couple of people in Indiana tasted more than the rainbow—and it sent them to an area hospital.

The hapless pair ate a package of Skittles that is thought to have included harmful chemical substances. While the exact nature of the chemicals has yet to be confirmed, it is known that the effects of the tainted package included burning throats, cramps, and diarrhea.

The unnamed individuals are said to have consumed the package on Tuesday afternoon, with information released as to the nature of the tainted package on Wednesday evening.

As of now, investigators are not sure how the package of Skittles came to be contaminated. Health Department spokeswoman Amy Reel said that not much could be determined until state lab results came back.

Reel also stated that the Indiana State Police, the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are all working together to determine the exact nature of the situation.

The Skittles candy was purchased from a Marathon Food Mart in Richmond, Indiana. The convenience store has since pulled the candy from its shelves. Skittles distributor Eby Brown has also pulled certain candies as a precaution.

Authorities are suggesting that anyone possessing Skittles candies with lot numbers 08JUL14 023 or 01DEC14 023 not consume the candy. Instead, they are to place the candies in a secure envelope and immediately notify the Indiana State Police.

A spokeswoman for Chicago-based Skittles producer William Wrigley Jr. Co. named Denise Young said that the company only learned of the incident late Wednesday evening. According to Young, company is investigating the issue.

In a statement to the Associated Press, Young said their "first priority is [consumer] safety and we take this very seriously."

The span of this particular incident seems to be a relatively small region, though individuals are encouraged to check the lot numbers of their candies just in case.

Image via YouTube