Sylvester Stallone is nominated for an Oscar for his performance in the movie Creed – but the 69-year-old actor almost sat out this year’s ceremony.
As you’re probably well aware, the Academy has taken much criticism for the lack of diversity surrounding this year’s show. All the actors and actresses nominated in both leading and supporting categories are white.
This has prompted an internet protest in the form of the #OscarsSoWhite meme, as well as boycotts from numerous actors and directors.
And according to Stallone, he almost decided to join the boycott – despite being a nominee.
Ultimately, it was Creed director Ryan Coogler who convinced Stallone to attend the award show.
“I said, ‘If you don’t want me to go, I won’t.’ He said, ‘I want you to go.’ That’s the kind of guy he is. He wanted me to stand up for the film,” Stallone said at Monday’s Oscars nominee luncheon.
— News Radio 1230 (@ABC1230News) February 9, 2016
Both Coogler and Creed star Michael B. Jordan were left out of this year’s Oscar nominees pool – and both are black. Many see this as an egregious snub.
Last month, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced a goal to double its women and minority members by 2020.
“The Academy is going to lead and not wait for the industry to catch up,” said Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs. “These new measures regarding governance and voting will have an immediate impact and begin the process of significantly changing our membership composition.”
Other actors have spoken out about the lack of diversity. Matt Damon called it “shameful and embarrassing.”