A 29-year old UK woman was recently horrified to discover that the banana she was eating was covered in tiny spiders that began to hatch at a most inopportune time.
“I thought it was mould but when I had a closer look I saw some funny looking spots,” Consi Taylor said. “I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders. They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet.”
In a tale straight out of every person’s nightmare ever, Taylor says she sent a picture of the spiders to a local pest control company and was told she needed to fumigate immediately, as she could have an infestation of Brazilian wandering spiders on her hands. The species is one of the most venomous in the world and can cause loss of muscle control, breathing problems, paralysis and eventual asphyxiation.
Taylor says she was forced from her home with her two young children while the home was fumigated, but the real horror is that she may have actually ingested one.
“I hope I didn’t eat one but I can’t be sure. I now have a phobia of buying bananas. We don’t know whether they’ve all gone,” she said.
Sainsbury’s, the grocery store that sold the bananas, has issued a public apology to the Taylor family and insists they have rigorous screening policies for their fruit.
“We’re very sorry and have apologised to Mr and Mrs Taylor. We do have rigorous controls on imported products at all stages – from harvesting to transportation – which is why this is so rare.”
Image: Wikimedia Commons