Quentin Tarantino is taking over the New Beverly Cinema as curator. The films he plans to show will be his own, new independent features, and old classics. They will be on film, and not on digital copies.
“The big thing about what’s going to change now that I’m taking the theater over is, from here on in the New Beverly is only showing film. That’s it. No digital. If something’s playing at the New Beverly, if we’re showing it, it’s on film,” Tarantino told Deadline.
Tarantino explained to LA Weekly how he owned the cinema since 2007 in order to save it from becoming a Super Cuts. Since then, the original owner’s son, Michael Torgan, had been running things. But now, Tarantino is looking to take it over as “a bastion for 35mm films”. “I want young filmmakers to want their movie to screen at the New Beverly so badly that they demand a print as part of the deal they make with Magnolia or Roadside Attractions or whoever,” he said.
While the filmmaker is still figuring out what to show in October, the theatre had its last screening under old management last week:
At the Cannes Film Festival this year, Tarantino proclaimed that “cinema as I knew it is dead.” The Telegraph quoted him calling digital projection “television in public”.
— The Film Stage (@TheFilmStage) May 23, 2014
Set to be released on 70mm film in the Fall of 2015 is Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight, which now will be distributed by The Weinstein Company. “We are incredibly excited to begin production on The Hateful Eight, as we know this picture will be as innovative, brash and of course fun as all Quentin projects prior,” the company said according to the Hollywood Reporter, “There is, quite simply, no other filmmaker like him, and we are as proud as ever to continue this partnership that started over 20 years ago.”
— MovieWeb (@MovieWeb) September 3, 2014