Portland Shootout Kills K-9, Injures Officer; 3 Suspects in Custody


Share this Post

A Portland Police Bureau K-9 German Shepherd was shot and killed early Wednesday, and his handler was wounded, during the investigation of a burglary at a retail store in Southwest Portland, Ore.

Mick, the police K-9, was fatally shot with at least one gunshot wound during a shootout at about 3 a.m. Wednesday morning between police and burglary suspects. After a search, the dog's body was found at about 10 a.m. under the hedge in front of a home on the 4100 block of South Lobelia Street.

Jeff Dorn, a 16 year veteran of the Portland Police Bureau and Mick's handler, was shot in both legs. Dorn's wounds were not life-threatening and he is expected to make a full recovery.

Police were investigating a burglary at the Blumenthal Uniform & Equipment store on Southwest Barbur Boulevard in Southwest Portland. Officers spotted three intruders exiting the store and saw them get into a white Suburban.

Police chased the SUV to Southwest Capitol Highway, and the SUV crashed into a utility pole at the Lobelia Street intersection.

The three suspects ran out of the SUV, and one of the officers sent his police dog after them, Portland Police Chief Mike Reese said.

"Take that suspect!" the officer instructed the dog, and then a shootout began, according to Reese.

The suspected shooter, whose name has not yet been released, was carrying a weapon similar to an AR-15 rifle, and fled on foot after the shots were fired. The weapon was later recovered on the scene.

Police searched for about three hours for the suspected shooter, who they confronted at gunpoint on the 6900 block of South West Olson Road, roughly three miles from where the shooting took place.

The shooting suspect surrendered to police.

Three suspects are currently in police custody.

Dorn and Mick had been partnered for only a short while. According to the Portland Police Bureau, Mick only passed certification as a K-9 on March 21 after undergoing an extensive training program.

People reached out to the Portland Police Bureau on social media to mourn the loss of Mick.



Image via Twitter