Michael Jackson’s death was a tragedy in 2009, yet the family is still battling in court as to who’s fault it is. After another court case, the promoter of Michael Jackson is now sharing the fault of Jackson’s death. A Jury found AEG Live LLC not negligent today.
Jackson’s mother brought a civil suit against AEG, suing them for hiring Dr. Conrad Murray. Dr. Murray was convicted in 2011 for involuntary manslaughter for causing Jackson’s death by administering his fatal overdose of propofol in 2009. Katherine Jackson blamed AEG Live for not doing a thorough background check. The jury disagreed.
Michael Jackson had bouts of insecurity, during his demanding show schedule and frequently had terrible insomnia. The drug propofol is not meant to be used outside operating rooms, but Murray was willing to buy it in bulk and administer it to him on a nightly basis.
The company’s defense denied hiring Murray and said Jackson picked the doctor for his upcoming shows. “AEG would have never agreed to finance this tour if they knew Mr. Jackson was playing Russian roulette in his bedroom every night,” AEG Live attorney Marvin Putnam said.
Putnam told jurors that the company would have pulled the plug on the shows if they knew he was using the anesthetic.
The Jackson’s family lawyer argued AEG’s only interest was launching a world tour for the King of Pop that would accumulate millions in profits.
Jackson’s mother and his three children are living off his estate, which provides a comfortable lifestyle for them and erased trifling debts by releasing new projects and new music featuring the King of Pop.
Images via WikiCommons.