Macaulay Culkin has been something of an enigma to us all in recent years; after seeing him mainly as the adorable, funny kid from “Uncle Buck” and “Home Alone”, it’s hard to get used to the fact that he’s a grown man–32 now!–with grown-up problems.
But fortunately for us, those Culkin moments we love were preserved on film to watch at our discretion and leisure. And as often as you’ve probably seen “Home Alone”–it’s become a staple for Thanksgiving and Christmas television programming–, there may be some things you don’t know about it.
1. The scene in which Kevin finds a picture of his brother Buzz’s girlfriend isn’t what it seems; Chris Columbus, the director, thought it would be cruel to have Kevin say “Woof!” when confronted with a picture of a real girl, so he dressed up a boy for the photo instead.
2. Columbus had to keep reminding Joe Pesci not to curse on set and encouraged him to use the word “fridge” instead. Daniel Stern, however, slid in a murmured “s**t” during the scene when he’s retrieving his boot from the doggie door.
3. Uncle Frank was almost played by Kelsey Grammer. This scene wouldn’t have been the same at all.
4. There’s a conspiracy theory that Elvis makes an appearance in the film, in the airport scene when Kevin’s mom is shouting at the ticket counter clerk.
5. “Home Alone” was entered in the Guinness Book Of World Records for holding the title of “Highest Box Office Gross–Comedy” at $533,000,000.