Kate Matrosova: 32-Year-Old Hiker Freezes To Death In New Hampshire

Lacy LangleyLife5 Comments

Share this Post

Kate Matrosova was dropped off by her husband at the base of the mountains of the Presidential Range in New Hampshire on Sunday morning.

Kate Matrosova's plan was to hike alone to the top of Mount Madison, then hike through Mount Adams and Mount Jefferson, and to the top of Mount Washington.

There, Kate Matrosova would stand at the summit of the highest peak in the Northwest.

But Kate Matrosova never made it to the peak of Mount Washington.

Her body was found frozen on Monday between Mount Madison and Mount Adams.

Kate Matrosova activated her emergency personal locator beacon on Sunday afternoon when she became lost in 100 mph winds and blowing snow.

However, it would prove impossible for rescue crews to find her in the devastatingly harsh conditions.

"Unfortunately, a lot of the coordinates that we received over the night were all over the place within a mile circumference," Fish and Game Lt. Jim Goss said of Kate Matrosova's attempt at being rescued.

Temperatures overnight dipped to 30 degrees below zero. That, coupled with the 100 mph winds, forced rescue efforts to turn back.

Finally, on Monday, rescue teams made up of Fish and Game officers, Mountain Rescue Services members and Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue members were able to find Kate Matrosova's body.

Goss noted that there is a lesson to be learned from Kate Matrosova.

He added of the tragedy, "I guess if you are gonna hike in this type of weather you need to be in a more sheltered area, not up on an open exposed ridgeline. There's just no room for error in a place like that."

What do you think of Kate Matrosova going hiking alone in below zero temps with unspeakable wind chills?

Lacy Langley
Lacy is a writer from Texas. She likes spending time in the home office, homeschooling her kids, playing the didgeridoo, caring for her chickens (Thelma and Louise), Rolos, Christmas, and Labyrinth.

Leave a Reply