Chris Pine shot down any plans to to return to the big screen as Jack Ryan anytime soon because of a disappointment showing at the box office earlier this year..
In an interview with Moviefone, the Star Trek actor said a sequel to Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, which opened Jan. 15 to $15.4 million and has only made $50.6 million in domestic earnings, said a sequel is highly unlikely.
"No, I don’t think it made enough money for that to happen," Pine said. "That’s one of my deep regrets, that we didn't totally get that right."
Although Pine doesn't see a sequel in the future, he added that he still has respect for the franchise and wouldn't mind seeing someone else take over the role that has been played by some of the greats — Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck.
— Variety (@Variety) December 28, 2014
"It’s a great franchise, and if it’s not me, then I hope it gets a fifth life at this point," continued Pine, who can currently be seen in Into the Woods. "It’s just great. I love the spy genre. I hope it’s done again and with a great story."
— MovieWeb (@MovieWeb) December 27, 2014
The Jack Ryan films began back in 1990 with The Hunt for Red October, when Alec Baldwin played the character. Harrison Ford took over the role for two films, including the highest-grossing film of the franchise, Clear and Present Danger, and Ben Affleck played the spy in 2002’s The Sum of All Fears.