Professional dancer Cheryl Burke has appeared on ABC’s Dancing With the Stars for 18 of the 19 seasons. This week the 30-year-old announced that this will most likely be her “last dance.”
“As of now, this is probably going to be my last season,” she told Good Morning America. “I started when I was 20. I’m 30. I feel like I just want to try new things and just see what’s out there.”
Burke first appeared on DWTS in 2006. Her first championship came in the second season when she was paired with 98 Degrees member Drew Lachey. She also won the following season with retired football star Emmitt Smith. Since then Burke has not had the honor of holding that famous mirror ball trophy. But many say that this season may be another chance for her. She is currently paired with soap opera star Antonio Sabato Jr..
Over the years Burke has been criticized about her “thicker figure.” (In what world is that considered overweight?) But the dancer has learned how to deal with the criticism and tabloid talk.
“I’ve had some time to think about it all and I’ve found strength in just letting it go. I can’t let myself get hurt by it. I also can’t shut down and not post anything online. There are all different types of people out there who are going to say all kinds of things, online and in real life. The important thing is to know which ones to listen to.”
But this may not be the last we see of the five foot four inch dancer as she could follow in the footsteps of Julianne Hough, former DWTS professional dancer turned judge this season.
“This is my family. I’ve been a part of the show for the last decade,” she said. “I started when I was 20. I’m 30 now. If they would ask me to be a judge, I’d love to.”
Earlier this week, professional dancer Keo Motsepe and track star Lolo Jones were eliminated. The top score went to Witney Carson and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air star Alfonso Ribeiro.
DWTS will return on Monday night at 8 p.m. on ABC.