Automattic reminded us on Friday that it just turned ten years old along with WordPress.com. Come to think of it, that sounds about right as we recently celebrated ten years of YouTube.
Naturally, the company has released a video and is sharing some stats to celebrate.
"In addition to building a world-class publishing platform, our company has redefined what it means to be a global company working on the internet: we have nearly 400 employees, working from home (or their preferred coworking spaces), around the world," writes Automattic's Mark Armstrong in a blog post. "We use our own p2 sites to communicate with each other, and we all spend time doing support rotations with the people who matter most: Our users."
"And we’re just getting started: 24% of websites on the internet now use WordPress to power their sites, and we believe there’s more for us to accomplish together to continue to make WordPress.com the engine that powers your creativity, your thoughts and ideas, and your business," he adds.
So what about those stats?
- 2.5 billion posts written with WordPress.com and Jetpack
- 137 languages used across those posts
- 3 billion comments
- The longest title on a WordPress.com post has 19,176 words
- The longest post ever published has over 10 million words.
- There have been 2.3 million total support messages between customers and "happiness engineers".
We recently spoke with WP Engine CEO Heather Brunner about how and why so many businesses are using WordPress. Check that out here.