Spiders in Bananas: Prepare to be Freaked Out
Even though this story is based out of London, you’ll probably be a little wary when it comes to eating bananas for a while. A U.K. woman had an experience that sounds like something out of a horror movie when a spider egg began hatching on the banana she was eating. To make things worse, the particular species of spider the woman nearly munched on, the Brazilian wandering spider, just happens to be the most toxic in the world.
Consi Taylor, 29, had purchased some Colombian Fairtrade bananas from her local supermarket and was halfway through her first banana she saw some spots on the skin. “I got halfway through the banana when I saw something white on the skin. I thought it was mold but when I had a closer look I saw some funny looking spots,” Taylor said.
“I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders. They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet. I was so scared I started crying. I hope I didn’t eat one but I can’t be sure.”
After getting rid of the bananas and getting a refund from the supermarket, Taylor and her husband were advised by a pest control firm to take their two young children and get out. Per the email the firm sent Taylor, “The Brazilian Wandering Spider is venomous and should be considered dangerous. We have to take huge care and diligence.” The family ended up checking into a hotel while their home was fumigated.
The Brazilian wandering spider is the most venomous spider in the world, according to Guinness World Records. The spider’s venom is so strong “that only 0.006 mg (0.00000021 oz) is sufficient to kill a mouse.” Even if the Brazilian wandering spider doesn’t bite you, its mere presence can cause a host of issues, including breathing problems.
Check out the Brazilian wandering spider (which is mainly found in South America, hence the name) below. (Sorry, arachnophobics.)
Will this cause you to avoid bananas? Respond below. Apparently some Twitter users will be forgoing bananas for a while.
After those deadly spiders were found in bananas, I dont want to eat another one again ffs
— Haydn (@Haydn792) November 5, 2013
— Lisa Giles Ray (@ClickOnLisa) November 5, 2013
[Images via The Sun and Wikimedia Commons]
Ooooo K. Those bananas can wait a month… || 'Deadly' Spiders Found In Supermarket Bananas http://t.co/jfGOthSOHP
— K. Muse (@MuseOfDoom) November 5, 2013