Soy Sauce Overdose: Dare Almost Kills 19-Year Old

    June 7, 2013
    Amanda Crum

Something to think about next time your friends challenge you to eat an abundance of something: a 19-year old Virginia man overdosed on soy sauce and began having seizures from the insane amount of sodium in his system.

The man drank a quart of the salty condiment before lapsing into violent seizures that sent him to the emergency room at the University of Virgina Medical Center.

“He didn’t respond to any of the stimuli that we gave him,” Dr. David J. Carlberg said. “He had some clonus, which is just elevated reflexes. It’s a sign that basically the nervous system wasn’t working very well.”

Doctors say he’s expected to fully recover with no lasting neurological problems, the first person ever to deliberately ingest that much sodium to do so. The danger, they say, is that too much salt in the blood makes the brain sacrifice its water to try and compensate. What results is shrinking of the most complex organ in the human body.

To keep the salt from destroying his brain, doctors had to pump a sugar-water solution into his bloodstream; they ended up giving him 1.5 gallons of it. He was in a coma for about a week, but is now doing well.