Lady Gaga Hits 10 Million Twitter Followers
Lady Gaga has just set a new record. In the annals of history, she will be remembered as the first person to acquire 10,000,000 followers on Twitter. And more importantly, she beat Justin Bieber.
Ashton Kutcher was the first to reach one million, Charlie Sheen was the fastest to reach one million – but we can’t forget that Lady Gaga, over time, has steadily amassed herself a Twitter army the size of a small nation. Here is her tweet from when she broke the 10 million barrier:
http://twitpic.com/4xtnac – 10MillionMonsters! I’m speechless, we did it! Its an illness how I love you. Leaving London smiling.
So let’s look at some stats about Lady Gaga’s Twitter account:
- She joined Twitter on March 26th, 2008
- Since that time, she has only tweeted 739 times. By comparison, Justin Bieber joined much later, in March of 2009 and has tweeted 9,081 times.
- At the writing of this article, she has 10,057,874 followers but it seems to go up by a hundred every time I refresh. Second place goes to Bieber with 9,607,412 and third place goes to Barack Obama with just over 8 million.
- According to Twitter Counter, Lady Gaga gains 24,946 followers every day. She gained 14, 855 yesterday.
- Throughout all her Tweets, he most commonly used word is “monsters.”
Being the first to reach 10 million followers surely grants Gaga the title of “most popular” on Twitter. But as far as her influence on the network goes, she’s not quite at the top of the list. In a study commissioned by the NY Time mag and performed by Twitalyzer, it was determined that British actor Stephen Fry and Brazilian comedian Rafinha Bastos both have a higher “influence index” than Lady Gaga.
Why? Even though they have a fraction of the followers (a couple million), they are much more active tweeters, therefore have their content retweeted at a higher rate. That isn’t to say that Gaga doesn’t hold sway over the Twitterverse – her impact score according to Twitalyzer is 72.3%, which puts her in the 99.9th percentile. Not bad for someone only averaging about a tweet and a half a day.
So what about the next huge milestone? Who will be the first to reach 20 million followers? According to Twitter Counter, it will be Gaga. They predict that she will hit the 20 million follower mark in about 399 days. They predict Bieber will hit the mark in about 427 days.