Adobe’s mobile plans are not just about Flash. The company announced an upgrade to its Scene7 offering, which has implications for both marketers and mobile developers.
Scene7 is a rich media service that lets retailers create an online catalog with video and 3D modeling (among other things). The new version includes support for mobile sites and apps, and provides expanded offerings for delivering content across mobile devices including iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android.
According to Adobe, the update will allow marketers and mobile developers to:
- Leverage one single platform to create, store, and deliver assets from, instead of developing a unique experience tailored for each device, which will reduce the cost and complexity of delivering rich media to desktop and mobile devices.
- Be able to upload and custom encode videos into Flash and non-Flash formats for optimal serving to mobile, desktop and interactive displays.
- Create content once in Scene7 and leverage the assets to deliver different and unique banner experiences using a single template.
- Marketers can now deliver variable image and Flash-based banners quickly, with and without video, reducing the time and costs for creating, modifying and publishing targeted content
- Developers can easily build and deploy rich and engaging front-end applications for greeting cards, stationery and photo products using Scene7 variable data templates (with Web-to-Print Solution Accelerator)
The announcement also includes integration with Adobe Creative Suite 5, Adobe Site Catalyst and Adobe Test&Target for automating website analytics and optimization.