The streets of Nicaragua were filled with panic-stricken citizens as a 6.1-magnitute earthquake hit the country on Thursday. The earthquake damaged homes and brought the power down in a few areas that were affected.
The earthquake struck at about 5:27 pm at a depth of six miles based on the US Geological Survey. Witnesses also reported aftershocks that came after the strong quake.
According to the Director of the Disaster Prevention Agency, Guillermo Gonzalez, at least 23 people were injured in the town of Nagarote, due to the falling walls, beams, and ceilings. Over 100 houses were said to have been damaged. Of those who were injured, three are said to be in critical condition. Nagarote was said to be the town that was hit the hardest, according to official reports.
Enrique Beteta, a health official, has released a statement regarding three of the injuries, which he called non-life threatening. One person had a trauma to his leg, and another injured his ankle. The third report was of a 16-year-old boy who sustained injuries to his back after a wall fell on him.
In the capital city of Nicaragua, Managua, there were no major damages. Nicaraguan spokeswoman, Rosario Murillo, said in a radio interview that “there are no injuries, no loss of life so far, nor even any significant material losses.” She also added that the government is still responding to reports of damaged homes. Guillermo said that the earthquake did, however, cause landslides that blocked two of the highways located at the south of the capital.
Citizens from different parts of Nicaragua called in to Radio Ya, a popular radio station, to report the earthquake, and loss of potable water and electricity in their area. Authorities also announced the suspension of classes in the cities of Managua and Leon.
Image via Google Maps