Indio Downey, the elder son of actor Robert Downey, Jr., was contrite as a judge dismissed his cocaine possession conviction last week.
“I appreciate this opportunity and I intend to make the most of it,” the 20-year-old told the judge when he was convicted several months ago.
— E! Online (@eonline) March 8, 2016
Arrested back on June 29, deputies found Indio Downey in possession of cocaine and drug paraphernalia when he was pulled over in West Hollywood around 2:00 a.m. He was said to be under the influence of drugs when he was stopped.
Indio Downey pleaded guilty to count one of felony possession of cocaine and was ordered into an 18-month drug diversion program in which he has already enrolled. The second count, possession of a smoking device, was dismissed. He was told if he successfully completed the diversion program, his conviction would be dismissed.
Indio Downey completed the program, and is now a free man.
It’s refreshing to see that law enforcement in West Hollywood doesn’t afford favors to the children of A-listers. It’s even more refreshing to see that A-listers like Robert Downey, Jr. don’t try to get their kids out of jams like the one Indio Downey found himself in last June.
— EntertainmentTonight (@etnow) March 9, 2016
Robert Downey, Jr. has his own history with drug abuse, and likely knows this program has the potential to save his son from a lifetime of misery–or perhaps even save his life.
Hopefully Indio Downey remains on the straight and narrow in light of this easy sentence he was afforded.