Healthcare Messaging and the Future of Care

Technology has literally transformed the way we talk to people. Even you, as you read the words that the author has typed, are reading words that have never seen a physical piece of paper. We hear fro...
Healthcare Messaging and the Future of Care
Written by Brian Wallace
  • Technology has literally transformed the way we talk to people. Even you, as you read the words that the author has typed, are reading words that have never seen a physical piece of paper. We hear from people around the world or across the house with a few swift movements in real time. What with all the information floating around online at any given moment, it is no wonder that sometimes logging onto another website seems daunting. Not wanting to log on to another site might not seem like a bad thing. A patient portal from a healthcare provider should not be a site that users avoid. Unfortunately, only 10% of patients would prefer to use patient portals to find out medical information. This means that the other 90% are hesitant to find out information regarding their health merely because the format is not what they would like to see. Read on to see how healthcare messaging is the way of the future.

    How Healthcare Can Better Communicate Through Tech

    So how can healthcare providers help to better communicate crucial information to those in their care? The answer is at everyone’s fingertips. By implementing omnichannel communication, providers can communicate with patients through SMS or messaging applications. By using technologies that physicians have already been using to consult each other regarding patient care, the format of this new communication method would already be familiar. The familiarity of the format ensures that there would be a virtually seamless transition on both ends, as both parties are already using these technologies. 

    In addition to an easy transition, using omnichannel communication also has a lot of exciting potential to transform patient care. As is the case with other life issues, many things can be fixed with effective communication. Many patients have expressed dissatisfaction with current methods of communicating with their healthcare providers. Too many cases of malpractice in healthcare have miscommunication between patient and physician to blame. If the methods in which patients and physicians communicate is less daunting to both parties, there’s less hesitancy in reaching out for help.

    Ultimately, this leads to lives saved as physicians can identify and treat problems in a more timely manner. This simplified communication method also allows for physicians to reach out and send reminders to patients. It would ensure that medicines are taken, routines are followed, prescriptions are filled, and appointments are made. This would also allow for the appropriate action to be taken more immediately if patients do not or cannot comply. 

    The Rise of Omnichannel

    Personalized omnichannel communication also has the potential to increase efficiency in doctor’s offices and hospitals. It can instantly rearrange the physician’s schedule as patients reschedule or cancel appointments. This allows for other patients to get off waitlists faster, getting their treatments as soon as possible. Efficiency is also increased when those at the front desk do not have to make repeated phone calls where a message reminder sent to the patient’s smartphone would have been sufficient. 

    Familiarity, improved patient care, and efficiency in the office are just the start of the benefits of implementing omnichannel communication in healthcare. For more information, see the the visual deep dive below:

    The Power of Mobile Messaging

    Get the WebProNews newsletter delivered to your inbox

    Get the free daily newsletter read by decision makers

    Advertise with Us

    Ready to get started?

    Get our media kit