Google has announced some new mobile device management options for Google Apps administrators. The options will be available to all Google Apps Premier and Education customers starting this week.
New options include:
– Requiring devices to use data encryption
– Auto-wiping device after specified number of failed password attempts
– Disabling the phone’s camera
– Ensuring old passwords are not reused
– Requiring passwords to be changed after specified time interval
– Disabling data synchronization when device is roaming to reduce wireless overage charges
"It’s our mission to provide users with seamless access to their data while allowing enterprise administrators to centrally manage a diverse range of mobile devices," says Google Software Engineer Dale Woodford. "We’re working to enhance our device management options and to expand our list of supported devices – including Android later this year."
The new options can be found in the "mobile" tab under the "service settings in the Google Apps control panel. More information on Google Apps mobile security settings can be found here.