Request Media Kit

Future of Fintech is Cloud, AI, Blockchain, IoT, 6G, and Quantum Computing, Says KPMG

The future of fintech is cloud, AI, blockchain, IoT, 6G and quantum computing, says Anton Ruddenklau, Global Co‐leader of FinTech at KPMG. Those are the technologies that are fueling the digital tra...
Future of Fintech is Cloud, AI, Blockchain, IoT, 6G, and Quantum Computing, Says KPMG
Written by Rich Ord
  • The future of fintech is cloud, AI, blockchain, IoT, 6G and quantum computing, says Anton Ruddenklau, Global Co‐leader of FinTech at KPMG. Those are the technologies that are fueling the digital transformation and will be central to financial services in the UK and the world going forward.

    Anton Ruddenklau, Global Co‐leader of FinTech at KPMG discusses the future of fintech in an interview by Charlie Barrett, who is the FinTech Lead at AWS:

    By 2027 Large UK Banks Will Go Cloud Native

    The first tipping point is 2027. That is the date that IDC predicted when large UK corporate banks go cloud-native. They base it on spend analysis they get from CIOs across the industry. They say that 75 percent of the industry would have gone cloud native, the other 25 percent would have gone bust. There is an interesting thing.

    Just as a sidebar, we’ve seen one CEO who has already been fired in the last couple of weeks because they didn’t actually adhere to their cloud strategy, and that’s Sage. So it’s starting. People are getting serious about cloud.

    If you move back from those dates, what do the CIOs say? By 2020 they will spend more money on cloud services and data than they will on legacy technology. That’s a big tipping point for us and the cloud providers in the industry full stop. By 2022 the analysis shows that people will spend more money and resources on digital propositions and products supported by data and cloud than they will on legacy. We are moving to really a digital economy on financial services.

    Blockchain, IoT, 6G, and Quantum Computing

    The other one is blockchain which we think which is roughly between 2022 and 2024. That will be predicated on a number of things. Our tipping point analysis shows that ten percent of consumers and SMEs will have adopted distributed ledger cryptocurrency and that whole gamut of tokenization.

    Then the internet of things (IoT). The new 6G is coming down from the mobile operators which is specifically for sensor technology and location based services. That’s sort of early 2020s. That will really fuel up the connection of machine to machine and all the things we want to see as consumers coming through.

    Quantum computing is also a big one that is a big question mark for people. It’s super nascent right now. If we believe what people are saying to us, by 2024 or 2025 the quantum will arrive and that will just change the bandwidth for everything including the distributed ledger which really needs a lot of power to really make it work at scale.

    Machine Learning Baked Into Cloud Services

    More nearterm, I think for us is machine learning being baked into cloud services and cloud data warehouses? We see the likes of Amazon really moving hard on that and bringing machine learning to the masses. You don’t need to be a data scientist to do it. I think that is a fundamental change that’s coming. The small and medium sized fintech firms can adopt that a lot quicker.

    However, they don’t have the distribution in scale. The opportunity for us is to get the large banks to understand that. It comes back to new types of skills and moving IT from the back office to the front office.


    Get the WebProNews newsletter
    delivered to your inbox

    Get the free daily newsletter read by decision makers

    Subscribe
    Advertise with Us

    Ready to get started?

    Get our media kit