According to Reuters, Foxconn has received clearance from the Chinese government to reopen its factory in Zhengzhou.
Reuters’ sources said “about 16,000 people, or under 10% of Foxconn’s workforce in Zhengzhou, have returned to the plant” in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak. The company is also negotiating with authorities for permission to open their other factories as well.
Foxconn had earlier said it did not foresee any impact to its production as a result of the virus. In spite of the company’s optimism, Reuters’ sources last week warned the government-mandated shutdowns could have a major impact on iPhone production if they went beyond the initial February 10 cutoff.
The reopening of the Zhengzhou factory is a good sign, and hopefully Foxconn will be able to reopen the rest sooner rather than later.