Mozilla has launched the first mobile version of the Firefox web browser. This is now available for the Nokia N900 device, supported on Nokia’s Maemo 5 platform.
Features of Firefox for mobile include:
- Awesome Bar – Go to your favorite sites in just a couple of keystrokes with intelligent and personalized searching
- Weave Sync – Sync your Firefox tabs, history, bookmarks and passwords between your desktop and mobile device for a seamless browsing experience
- Add-ons – Customize your Firefox by adding small pieces of functionality, like games and news readers, that help make the mobile Web browser your own
- Location-Aware Browsing – Get maps and information relevant to your location
- Tabbed browsing – View open tabs as thumbnails to easily identify and select the Web page you’d like to go to next
- Safe Browsing – Get an Instant Web Site ID and easily access and edit security settings
- Available in more than 30 languages and counting
Mozilla notes that the mobile version of Firefox is the first mobile web browser that supports add-ons. This is one of the biggest features that has contributed to the still-growing popularity of Firefox for the desktop. Right now there are over 40 add-ons available for Firefox for Mobile.
"Add-ons like AdBlock Plus, URL Fixer, TwitterBar, language translators, and geo guides become especially handy when you’re out and about on your mobile device," says Mozilla’s Erica Jostedt. "You can both discover and install add-ons directly from your Nokia N900."
Mozilla emphasizes that this is just the beginning for Firefox for mobile. They tell users that there will be "lots more" to come this year.