2012 was a good year for Etsy, to say the least. CEO Chad Dickerson took to the company blog this morning to share some stats about the year as Etsy’s growth continues to accelerate.
“Growth of highly-personal shopping categories like wedding goods and home decor was strong in 2012,” an Etsy spokesperson tells WebProNews. “Jewelry, our #1 category, is still hugely popular, but others, like clothing and housewares, are quickly gaining steam. Furniture was the fastest-growing category on Etsy this year, growing 134% year-over-year.”
Here are some more highlights from Dickerson’s post:
- Overall sales by the community in 2012 grew 70.3% over the previous year, to $895.1 million from $525.6 million in 2011.
- Sales in December 2012 were 72.9% higher than 2011 (compared to 69.9% from Dec 2010-Dec 2011).
- Sales in November 2012 sales increased by 74.9% over the previous year (compared to 65.7% from Nov 2010-Nov 2011).
- New buyers increased by 83% in 2012.
- 10 million new members joined Etsy last year, nearly doubling the total number of members to 22 million around the world, in nearly 200 countries.
Etsy will celebrate its 8th birthday this year. Since opening in 2005, the site has seen over 14 million shoppers buy over 100 million items.
Etsy has only made more moves in recent months to help its growth continue. Consider that it only laumched its iPad and Android apps in the last two months. The site also continues to expand into more languages.
Last week, Etsy announced its acquisition of Mixel.