Adrian Peterson, running back for the Minnesota Vikings, was rushed to the E.R. on Monday afternoon, but not for something that happened on the field. Unfortunately, Peterson wasn't aware of a seafood allergy that got scary real quick after he ate shrimp for lunch.
Some people break out in hives after eating something they're allergic to, but others aren't so lucky; certain foods, such as peanuts or shellfish, as well as insect stings, can cause the body to go into anaphylactic shock. This in turn can cause swelling of the face and throat and restriction of the airways, and if it's severe enough, death can occur.
Luckily for Peterson, his reaction wasn't as bad as it could have been, but as anyone with a history of allergic reactions will tell you, it was a scary moment.
“I don’t know if any one of you has had anyone experience that, but yeah, it was scary," said head coach Leslie Frazier. "But he's fine now. Everything is fine."
Unfortunately, Peterson has been on the injury list since December after undergoing surgery to his left knee, so if he's feeling well enough this week to get back into things, it will only be physical therapy. He is, however, expected to make a full recovery.