Trucker Protest CancelledBy: Jennifer Curra - October 8, 2013
October 8, 2013, may become known as the day of the “almost” trucker protest. Reports earlier claimed that a group known as the “Truckers Ride for the Constitution” with Mr. Earl Conlon at the forefront was planning to take Washington D.C. by beltway storm. The plan was to block D.C. traffic in order to protest the government shutdown, ultimately resulting in the arrest of congressmen.
Earl Conlon, who vocally spearheaded the initiative, spoke with U.S. News. “Everybody that doesn’t have a supporter sticker on their window, good luck. Nobody in, nobody out. It’s going to be real fun for anyone who is not a supporter, if cops decide to give us a hard time, we’re going to lock the brakes up, we’re going to stop right there, we’re going to be a three lane roadblock,” Conlon said.
The protest was originally thought to begin on Friday and continue for three days where truck drivers would still be mindful of the 55 mph speed limit restrictions. It was reported that the truckers would clog three lanes while leaving the emergency lane open. However, fast forward a few hours and the anticipated end result had already changed. Or, maybe the result had not really changed, but rather someone got played along the way. The question is: Who got played?
“The comments to U.S. News were designed to do one thing and one thing only: stir the feather of the mainstream media. Nothing gets the attention like the mainstream media, like some sort of disastrous threat. I knew it was going to ruffle some feathers,” Earl Conlon said later.
Was Earl Conlon merely fighting for his american right to demand that elected leaders listen to the populace who voted them into office in the first place? You decide. Earl Conlon did take to his Twitter page where he promotes himself as “trucking and fearing for my country” to explain the whole ordeal.[Image Via Earl Conlon’s Facebook]