The Top 9 Reasons You’re A Terrible Facebook Friend [STUDY]
Let’s face it: Facebook is, by default, annoying. It’s basically a platform that gives people you don’t really care about the unfettered ability to share whatever word diarrhea they want, at any time of the day. And you have to scroll through your news feed and see this garbage, all the while trying to grasp at some barely tangible hope that the world is not saturated with people that aren’t worth saving. It really is a depressing sort of sport.
I’m sure that if you were asked to list the top 9 things that people do on Facebook that really grind your gears, you’d list 15. But thanks to a survey commissioned by Australian company Amaysim, we have a nice, clean roundup of the top actions that are likely to lead to an unfriending.
- Using Facebook as your diary. 42% said that this was the most annoying thing that could be done on the social network. Before you post some trivial about your day-to-day life, remember to take the number of people you think care about your activities and divide by two.
- Food photography. 40% of those surveyed hate it when you incessantly post pictures of your meals, no matter how exquisite you think they are. There’s a place filled with food photos where you’ll never be called annoying for being filled with culinary enthusiasm, and it’s called Instagram.
- Copious check-ins. Suzy was here. Suzy was here with Sally. Suzy was here with Sally and 4 other. Stop. I haven’t left my couch all day and you’re making me feel like a slob. 38% found this annoying.
- Relationship posts. 29% of those surveyed don’t want to hear about your boyfriend, girlfriend, or crush. Also, your husband, wife, or domestic partner either. Let’s add friend with benefit to that list as well.
- Game invites. This is a no-brainer. 26% of respondents hate you when you request that they they join you in a rousing game of CityVille, and we’re surprised it’s only 26%.
- Inspirational Quotes. So, Marilyn Monroe said that you need to be a girl with sass? Albert Einstein said that Obama is a socialist? 25% of your Facebook friends are rolling their eyes.
- Vaguebooking. Say what you mean. Passive aggressive updates drew the ire of 24%.
- Baby photos. According to 21% of those surveyed, your baby is only cute to you.
- Posting terrible photos of your friends. I know it makes you look better by comparison to be standing next to your derpy friend, but cut it out. 13% of people really hate that.
Of course, this is in no way an all-inclusive list of crap that can get your unfriended on Facebook. But if you’re looking at ways to be a better Facebooker, it’s a good place to start.[via News.com.au]