Marathon Runner Dies After Barcelona Race
A runner died of a heart attack at the age of 47 in Barcelona on Sunday after competing in the big marathon.
The Associated Press (via ESPN) is reporting that the man died shortly after arriving at the hospital, after running in the race, but actually suffered the heart attack during the race.
Heatstroke was not mentioned in reports, but the incident comes just two days after a soldier died of heatstroke after competing in a marathon in Tel Aviv.
According to the Mayo Clinic, you are considered to have heatstroke when your body reaches 104 F (40 C) or higher. If not treated quickly enough, it can cause damage to the brain, heart, kidneys and muscles.
As far as Sunday’s actual race goes, it was a good day for Ethiopian runners. Results (via Ethiosports) were as follows:
1. Gezahgne Abera Hunde (Eth) 2:10: 17
2. Abraham Keter (Ken) 2:10 48
3. Linus Maiyo (Ken) 2:11 34
4. Aredom Tiumay Degefa (Eth) 2:12: 17
5. Jaume Leiva (Spa) 2:13 41
1. Lemenen Berha Yachem (Eth) 2:34: 39
2. Bosho Amelework Fikadu (Eth) 2:35: 53
3. Mogaka Irene (Ken) 2:38 46
4. Joasia Zakrzewsky (GBr) 2:43 50
5. Lou Collins (VST) 2:57: 34
This was the 33rd Barcelona Marathon. The deceased runner reportedly crossed the finish line.