Kelly: Overdose Suspected in Rapper’s DeathBy: Sean Patterson - May 3, 2013
Earlier this week, the tragic death of rapper Chris Kelly stunned music fans. The 34-year-old Kelly was found dead in his Atlanta home Wednesday evening. He was later declared dead at a nearby hospital.
Now, a police report has surfaced showing that Kelly had been taking hard drugs the night before his death.
An Access Hollywood report on the police document states that Kelly’s mother, Donna Kelly Pratte, told police that Chris had taken both heroin and cocaine Tuesday night. She stated that she and others had left Chris, who had complained of nausea and had passed out, at his home on Wednesday morning to sober up.
A drug overdose is suspected as the cause of Kelly’s death, but an official cause of death will have to wait for toxicology reports. According to family members and friends, Kelly had a known history of drug abuse.
Kelly was best known as one half of the rap duo Kross Kross. He and fellow rapper Chris Smith gained fame in the early 90s through their hit single “Jump.” The pair also became infamous for wearing their clothes backwards.
Pratte on Thursday released a statement regarding her son’s death, stating that he was the “fun-loving life of the party” and that “his legacy will love on through his music.”