Harrison Ford, who famously played Han Solo in the original "Star Wars" series, is set to reprise the role for the new movies according to several sources.
The rumors appear to have started with a blurb about the new films on Latino Review, where it was reported almost casually that Ford will be in the new movie Disney has planned, "Star Wars: Episode 7". And while nothing is official yet, fans of the films are insanely excited about the possibility of seeing Solo once again.
Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker, said in an interview last year that he and Carrie Fisher had met with George Lucas regarding the new films, but didn't go into detail as to whether or not they would be playing older versions of Luke and Leia. The news came after Lucas made the announcement that he'd sold Lucasfilm to Disney for the whopping sum of $4 billion.
About the sale, Lucas said, “For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next. It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”
Of course, nothing is definite, and with Ford famously having said he wanted to see Solo get killed off in "The Empire Strikes Back", it's hard to say whether he's really down with taking up the role again.
Harrison Ford deal? My source says not yet."It will not be for weeks and perhaps months."
— Geoff Boucher (@geoffboucher) February 15, 2013