Fantasia on American Idol 2012: Twitter Reacts

Season three winner dons a catsuit. Fans wish she hadn't.

[ Life]

Fantasia on American Idol’s 2012 finale was pretty big news to those who religiously tune in each and every week. On Twitter, anyway. Not only were people chatting away about Phillip Phillips taking home this season’s top spot, they were trying to figure out what in the world Fantasia Barrino was wearing during her performance. Both she and singer Chaka Khan were sporting skin-tight catsuits, much to the dismay and delight of bloggers all across the nation.

American Idol contestant Joshua Ledet and the season three winner teamed up for a duet of Elton John’s “Take Me to the Pilot”, a song which fans claim Fantasia was having some difficulty with. According to Hollywood Life, Barrino was making up lyrics on the fly, though, to be honest, I’m not familiar enough with the ditty to know for sure.

What did everyone on Twitter think of Fantasia’s clingy outfit? Well, the reactions are a pretty negative. If you’re a diehard Barrino fan, some of the comments might make your blood boil, so do take that into consideration before exploring some of the posts embedded below.

#nowwatching American Idol Replay since I wasn’t able to watch it this morning. Fantasia Barrino… I have no words. #foreverlate
15 minutes ago via web · powered by @socialditto

so nobody asked why Fantasia was singing about being taken to the Lord on American Idol while wearing a shredded catsuit?

Fantasia wore a shocking catsuit last night as she performed on ‘American Idol,’ showing way more than we bargained for http://t.co/CgYgsM66
1 hour ago via web · powered by @socialditto

Honey! Say what you will about Fantasia, she’s still getting money and slayed to the utmost on American Idol last night. That’s my baby
4 hours ago via Echofon · powered by @socialditto

OMG FANTASIA! YOU ARE MY AMERICAN IDOL!!!! I just can’t. OMG OMG OMG #idol
15 hours ago via Wren for Mac · powered by @socialditto

I am soooo sorry…watching American Idol and I am flooooored at Fantasia’s outfit. #nowords!!! And I love her…but I am so embarrassed.
15 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® · powered by @socialditto

Just saw Fantasia and her outfit on American Idol. That was downright irresponsible to have that on. OMG!!! #JustStopNow
11 hours ago via Echofon · powered by @socialditto

Finally saw American #Idol. With love 4 Fantasia, Can we all pray that she fires the stylists that said ‘Girl U Look Good in that outfit.’
2 hours ago via GrabInbox · powered by @socialditto

Fantasia is on American Idol looking like a Family Dollar version of Wonder Woman. God bless. #idol
15 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone · powered by @socialditto

Worst thing on television last night: Celtics/Sixers or Chaka Kahn/Fantasia in catsuits? http://t.co/OeVRS1kR
1 hour ago via TweetDeck · powered by @socialditto

Fantasia on American Idol 2012: Twitter Reacts
  • jamecia waters

ATT: ALL YOU,OFF BRANDS STOP HATING! SHE LOOKED GREAT AND GOT A STANDING OVATION! SO PICK YOUR FACE UP OFF THE FLOOR!

• Naye

really??!! There was no style or sense of fashion whatsoever in that hot ghetto mess of an outfit that she had on! She needs to wear clothing more suited to her size, and with a lot more CLASS!
      I am a huge fan of her music myself – but let’s tell the truth: that outfit she had on was horrible. I was embarrassed for her and i dont even know her personally!

• DMC

That was one of the funniest and disappointing American Idol show I have ever seen!! I laughed so hard at Fantasia, she looked “yukky” and ridiculous,and what were Joshua and Fantasia doing,having a “screamfest” because it wasn’t singing!!! Lol.I
    never thought she had a good voice or considered her a great singer, and she proved it last night on the American Idol finale. Jessica Sanchez was robbed! She should have won, hands down! Philip was ok, but enough with the “raspy voice” singers!! Will a REAL singers please stand up! Jessica’s voice is like “WOW”. She “tore it up” singing with Jennifer Holiday, I think she made Jennifer Holiday,really work, last nite! hahaha.

• CeeBee

@DMC…that was not Jennifer Hudson singing with Jessica. The singer is Jennifer Holliday who made “And I am Telling You” famous when she played the role of Effie in the Broadway production of Dream Girls.

• tina

hmmmm

• April

Girl please you obviously don’t know S H I T about music..You need to go sit down somewhere and get a clue chile… The chaka’s, Arethas, Patti’s, Gladys, Teena Marie..and the list goes on are all singers…If everybody don’t sound like a watered down singer or Rihannas for that matter they can’t sing? Please you got it all f’d up..Fantasia is certainly a true artist and singer and certainly better than Jessica Sanchez, so sit that azz down somewhere… (Jessica is amazing too though)

• CHEFDIMPLES

i agree with your comments…i love fantasia and phillip but fantasia was wrong and jessica was robbed but she will go far anyway

• http://yahoo.com sandra

jessica sanez is still the winner and as far as im concerned Josh ladet was number one in my book. Those tow definitley have talent and i bleieve that will not be the last time we will see them.

• Naye

I sure hope Fantasia reads this – sweetie you have a beautiful voice and spirit. But you seem to have lost yourself somewhere along the way… Stop for a minute and go within to the God that you know and sing about and ask for peace. Something is definitely not right within. No need to act out, He can heal your pains. The outfits you have been appearing in lately are totally hideous (not just last night). Please hire a stylist and revamp your image. This does not reflect that beautiful voice of yours.

• jrsells

Man people have got to do better and by people i mean ya’ll bloggers and folks posting hateful comments overlooking all of the important things..It amazes me how people are..The public always bullies Fantasia and calls her mean names and make racist comments and its downright ridiculous and sad..These people are low life hypocrits and i hope for every negative and mean spirited actions, wheather in public, in person,or behind a computer screen that God unleashes a karma on them so they know the wrong they’ve done. Fantasia is Fantasia she looked beautiful! Especially on the red carpet and she rocked that performance..Had the crowd on their feet AND got a standing ovation… THE HATING MUST STOP NOW PPL! STOP BULLYING THIS GIRL

• Mark Peterson

I THOUGHT FANTASIA LOOKED GREAT ON THE RED CARPET…THE OUTFIT SHE PERFORMED IN WASN’T EXACTLY MY STYLE, BUT ITS TASIA AND IF SHE LIKED IT AND FELT COMFORTABLE, I LOVE IT! PEOPLE ARE MEAN SPIRITED AND SHE IS JUST TRYING TO LIVE HER LIFE AND MOVE ON! WILL YOU LET HER OR WOULD YOU NOT BE HAPPY UNTIL SHE’S ANOTHER CELEBRITY TRAGEDY! FANTASIA KEEP DOING YOU, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL AND CERTAINLY ROCKED THE STAGE!!

• April

Fantasia’s makeup and hair were on point.. I thought she looked great and did well too… I don’t understand the uproar and why people are so hateful either! but oh well, I liked it, she liked it! Quit tearing people down folks! # GO FANTASIA GO!

• http://yahoo b4life

ms barrino is cool but she is a mom . she looked a mess and not to hate but i call a spade a spade if it walks a mess and looks a mess
    it’s a mess

• Jim

Fantashia looks like _ _ _ _ …….

• http://yahoo Ms. MariO

I THINK FANTASIA LIVED UP TO THE MEANING OF HER NAME.

• Colly

Fantasia really disappointed. What happened to her beautiful voice. Joshua was trying to work with what she was doing, but I could see that even he was a little confused about what she was doing. Joshua came out singing the song nicely however. As far as Jessica goes, she really is passionless. I hope to never hear or see her again.

• Shzam

I agree, she has a great voice and can really sing. She sounds like another Beyonce or Jennifer Hudson and I do not think that she was robbed. I can see fame getting to her and she probably was not ready for it. Everything happens for a reason and whether people like Phillips style or not, he did win. She will have what God intended for her to have, she will have to be patient and have when she is mentally able to appreciate it. She seems like a sweet girl and I like her. But, there is no reason to bash Phillip because he also has talent. Look at Rihanna, she sounds horrible live and she is a top selling artist and there are those that sing very well with nothing to sing about. Fantasi did look ahot mess and I love her. It would be a total lie to say that she can’t sing because God truly blessed her in that department.

• musiclvr

Hey, I love music and I admire anyone who can sing, play an instrument and entertain. However, not-with-standing the outfit, what I heard last night from Fantasia and Joshua, was definitely not singing!!! If either of them would have sang like that during the competition, they would have both been eliminated post-haste! It was truly annoying!

• http://www.hollywoodliveandwork.com Ellenoir1

Ok…Didn’t JANET JACKSON wear that a few years ago and wore it SO MUCH BETTER! Just when I think Fantasia is about to take two steps forward she leaps backwards. At least the voice is still good!

• TGHT

Fantasia, well look, I like some of her music, and yes her face and hair seemed very nice and appropiate…But please,, what she wore…. was a NIGHTMARE!!! IT WAS AS STUPID AS CAN BE…
    On the other hand,, if you have seen Chaka Khan in recent years,, looking HUGE,, last night she looked BEAUTIFUL compared to her recent size.. and she sounded better than the last few times I”ve seen her….. Luved her, but NOT Fantasia !!!

• http://webpronews Natalie Hartung Bundy

Fantasia..once fantastic…was a huge dissaster, from the hair, to the make up, right down to the stripper club special…I’d say catsuit, but that’s offensive to cats! OMG. She looks like a Manvestite transitioning into a woman….and i think she was born one.
    And btw…screaming on and on and on, is not singing. The win with Philip proves that. Duh?

• maria t

sorry but i felt like i was watching the avengers and that Fantasia was going to turn into hulks wife.

• Tonya

I won’t say something like Fantasia can’t sing because that’s just a bald-faced lie but all that screaming was ridiculous and it does not appear that Joshua understood what she was doing and was confusing him. If u just had a baby, that’s hardly the outfit to wear. That’s just not an outfit for a grown woman. Period.