Family Dollar Murders: Suspect Was Fired This SpringBy: Amanda Crum - July 26, 2013
The man accused of killing two Family Dollar employees last week was terminated from the company this past spring, and was reportedly passed over for a manager’s job there.
Lavere Bryant of Dearborn, Michigan was arraigned on Wednesday in the fatal shootings of Brenna Machus and Joseph Orlando, both 20 years old. Bryant was captured on surveillance video the night of the murders as he walked into the store, though he still claims innocence. As of now, a motive hasn’t been released, but as of now authorities are certain they got the right man.
“We got a slew of good tips that led to this arrest,” Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said.
Bryant is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of felony murder as well as armed robbery, unlawful imprisonment, felon In possession of a firearm and felony firearm charges. Machus, who went missing the night Orlando was found, was later found shot to death in a wooded area two miles from the store.
The suspect is also accused of not registering as a sex offender. As he walked into court on Wednesday, he proclaimed his innocence.
“I did not murder anybody,” he said.
Family Dollar spokesperson Bryn Winburn released a statement on behalf of the company, saying:
“We are saddened by the loss of Joseph and Brenna and our hearts go out to their families and friends. We have a strong, tight-knit team in Detroit, and our focus is on taking care of them right now as we all work to understand what happened.”